Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Wonderful Chair

On the street outside the antique store called Pastiche, I found this wonderful chair. To prove that it was such a wonderful chair, it wore a sign saying "WONDERFUL CHAIR". The chair cost two hundred dollars and was made in the late 1800's. You can reach down under and feel the straps, which apparently is something very good to feel, in terms of late 1800's chairs.

I put it in my living room and it didn't look right.
I put it in my bedroom and it didn't look right, either.
I hauled it downstairs into my office, and it looked just right.

So here is a picture of me and my new wonderful chair.

Sometimes you just don't know how a piece of furniture is going to look until you get it inside your house. My living room area is relatively small and so I have a few pieces of regular size furniture and then some little things, like a tree stump for a table and a bright yellow footstool for a little "bookchair", which is a chair I sit on when I'm choosing which books to read from my living-room stash. If I had the children's desk which I used as a child, I might use it, too, somewhere in my house. Not as a children's desk but as a viable little working-desk.

I bought a big oak beautifully carved chair from Pastiche, drug it upstairs into my livingroom and lived with it for two months. It was a definite No. It would look sensational in somebody else's livingroom and I have a place in mind for this chair, but it simply darkened my livingroom and made everything frown. I don't blame myself for making mistakes, I just learn from them (at a cost) and give them away or sell them. Well, I've never sold one of my mistakes yet, so I guess it's more honest to say I give them away. To me, "giving" is a form of practical exchange, since you always get something back, in the end. It may be a smile or two cherry pies or a deep cleaning of the house, but it will always be something.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you all my new Wonderful Chair with me, the lady in pink, sitting on it, or is it "in" it - and smiling at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment