Monday, May 17, 2010

It Was An American Tradition

We were on the ferry. I was putting my money in a machine to buy some peanuts. I was looking in the direction of my friend. A male voice came over the ferry's broadcasting system - an excitable, enthusiastic voice. "Oh!" I exclaimed, 'his voice is so enthusiastic it just makes me want to eat peanuts!" I said this quite loudly. My pronunciation was somewhat limited by a very recent swallow of Coca Cola and the word "peanuts" came out sounding like the word "penis". Everybody looked. I froze, then started laughing. Then I kept on laughing. Then I could barely hold myself upright I was laughing so hard. You know how it gets, you double over, and hold yourself in the middle and sashay back and forth. I made it back to my seat. My friend looked away, out the window.

................
"I don't think I know everything I know about that."
- nine o'clock patient
...................
"That's the nicest worst thing anybody has ever said to me."
- customer sitting behind me at The Streamliner Diner

.....and, from the contest wherein English teachers submit Best Metaphors:
..................
"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up." ...................

"He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it."
....................
"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free."
......................
"It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools."
......................
"The young firefighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while." ......................

"Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do."

.......................

In December, at The Pub: "Don't you just want to slap Opra each time she loses weight? Like, 'You're supposed to be fat, so STAY fat!"
.......................

MOST MEMORABLY HYSTERICAL LAST WORDS About HOPE AND TIME SPOKEN IN A MOVIE

"Oh, I can't think about that now! I'll just go crazy if I do! I'll think abou tit tomorrow. Tara, home. I'll go home and I'll think of some way to get him back! After all, tomorrow IS another day!"
- Scarlett O'Hara

No comments:

Post a Comment