Friday, May 21, 2010

CONVERSATIONS FROM THE COMMUNITY

The Psychic said I had powerful eyes. The psychic said my son was eating a tuna sandwich and playing pool in somebody's basement, she didn't know who's. The psychic said Aleister was sent to earth to protect us all. The Psychic said my long-deceased father was holding my hand and beaming. When I asked why I didn't feel his hand holding mine - or my hand holding his - she said, "Who knows?" The Psychic said I maybe need to get a dog. The Psychic said I will either meet the man of my dreams or that perhaps I HAVE met the man of my dreams. The Psychic said if I am tenacious enough my chronic pain will go away. The Psychic said I am "indelibly tenacious" but that I may need to be even a bit MORE tenacious. Like a tiger. Or a lion. The Psychic said a book is in my future and that it could become a bestseller. The Psychic said she felt just a little bit of resistance coming from me. The psychic asked if, sometimes when I wake during the night, familiar objects in my room appear to be"other things". I asked if that included men. The Psychic sniffed.

I never have any luck with Psychics, nor do they have any luck with me. The camel always has a great deal of difficulty passing through the needle.
..................

What the cashier at SAFEWAY said. Hello! How ARE you! Oh, THAT looks good, pointing to my Breyer's peach ice cream. MMMMMMMMMMMM, she said, about those long Belgian rolled cookie things. She read the headline of my New York Times out loud and said maybe she should read the whole paper one day. If only it weren't so expensive. Do you have a SAFEWAY card? Good. Okay, Mrs. Morgan! You saved $4.25. Have a good day!
.....................

What the cashier at TOWN & COUNTRY said. Hello! How ARE you! Pretty flowers! Oh, look, this matches with this. What kind of glasses are these? The carry-out young man stepped in. He said, they're martini glasses. My Dad made me a martini in one of these glasses when I turned twenty-one. When of THESE glasses, I asked. No, well, you know what I mean, he said. I smiled. I said I did. the cashier said Oh good you brought your own bag, you get five cents off. Have a good day!
......................
What the client said. Oh, it's nice and warm in here. Well. It's getting worse. And there's a piece of me that knows it's going to get even worse than this.
I'm so glad I have you. Do you really mean it, I can e-mail you? I'm going to e-mail you. I keep making movies in my head. Keep making up dramas. I wonder what a Real-Life drama would be.
.....................

What the art guy said. This would look GREAT in your house? You don't think it'd fit? Sure, we could make it fit. I'm a genius at making things fit. And it matches your other one. In a way. She's great. Yeah, she gets it. She really gets it, I think she's going places. Well, think about it and get back to me. Yeah, great, great, sure. Hope to see you soon!
.....................
What the lady at Bainbridge Arts and Crafts said. Let's see your jewelry today. Oh, today you've tamed it down. I like it when you wear, you know, all that stuff you wear. It's wonderful. You know, you are the fashionista of our complex. I ran into Christine the other day and I asked her if she'd ever been in 135. She said yes, when it was for sale. I told her Well, you need to go. Now. Now that Kay has it. It's light, it's airy, it's got all this great art. I told her she really has to see it!
.........................

What the man at Eagle Harbor Books said. How many books a week do you read? Sometime we'll have to get together and tell each other our experiences while studying up at Centrum. You taught up there for YEARS. I remember. I was in your class once and so was William Stafford. I didn't know who you wee. It's sort of great to get to know you. Not that I know you. There's one time I especially remember. Either something a big male student said to you or something you said to the big male student. But it brought tears to my eyes. Because I couldn't stand him. And you were nice. Okay, need a bag? Sure, sure, good for you! Bye, now!

......................

What the lady at Kitsap Federal Credit Union said. Here she is! Did you bring the death certificate? Oh good, NOW we can make that change! I know, I know, it's just the way it is, we need the death certificate, it's like......well, of course he is deceased, but not officially, not with the computer. Let me make a copy of this and I'll.....Here we go! Oh, no, our computers are gone. How much did you want? Sorry, I can't do that today, can you come back tomorrow? I'll just put this copy in a file and......no, no, I'll remember. Here. See, I'm writing myself a note. Sure, you can get it tomorrow. No problem. Sorry for all the mix-up! Okay, then, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment